Rough Start, Better Ending

Hi all – I got to the hospital around 7:30am so Nicole could get to work. When I arrived, I learned that Sally’s platelet level was still bottomed out at 7 (supposed to be around 150) so she had yet another transfusion. Nicole also remarked that she was very lethargic and after downing some food, went back to bed. So until almost 10am, I just sat there and watched her sleep, which is extremely unusual for Sally.  When she got up, she was very lethargic, not even whining or yelling when I changed her diaper or when I passed her off to somebody so I could use the bathroom. She was also on the border of 100 degree temperature and breathing heavy. The whole staff was concerned and started checking her vitals every 30 minutes instead of the usual 2 hours.

As the day wore on, she got progressively better til the evening when she sat in her crib and happily played on her own as seen in the photo above. Not sure what happened and nobody could explain it. I didn’t see any doctors from the Leukemia team today so couldn’t ask. Weekends are typically quiet on the floor as only the nurses and core medical staff are working so you see a lot more patients with their doors open and a more relaxed atmosphere.

Besides that, it was a quiet day talking to our new roommates (who are awesome) and getting visits from Sally’s Uncle Chris and Aunt Sarah. Sadly youths aren’t allowed on the floor due to the risk of passing sicknesses so didn’t get to see my nephews. Nicole and I briefly spoke about plans for the week as Sally’s counts haven’t started increasing yet so will likely be in there for a least a couple more days. With her mouth sores and pain during eating, its probably not a bad thing being in the hospital where she can get painkillers to help her through that. She did well on her first couple meals, but on the final one she screamed in pain after 2 bites. Apparently this won’t heal until her white blood cells start coming back so they can fight it off. Come on white blood cells, we need ya!

Here’s to hoping for an uneventful and quiet Sunday. Please keep Sally in your prayers.




3 Responses

  1. Iliana
    Iliana July 28, 2013 at 8:28 am | | Reply

    Praying for her

  2. Merrie
    Merrie July 28, 2013 at 10:49 am | | Reply

    Nicole and family,

    Sending you love, hugs, and strength as you cope with Sally’s treatment.

    And, to Sally, your little fighter, good days ahead.


  3. Kimberly
    Kimberly July 28, 2013 at 1:40 pm | | Reply

    Sally, you are always in my thoughts and prayers.

Leave a Reply